Getting All on 4 (AO4) dental implants in Vietnam
In recent years, there are many international patients from countries like the USA, Australia, UK traveling to Vietnam and some other Asian countries for Full-arch dental implants, in which all-on-4 is the most chosen option. If you would like to know how much you could save by traveling to Vietnam to get all-on-4 implants done, check out this article. Now, let’s learn more about All-on-4 and why it’s suitable for you.
All-on-4 dental implant (also called AO4) is a prosthodontic procedure that includes a prosthetic structure standing on four small implants made of Titanium. In particular, the surgeon place 4 implant posts into the jawbone of the patient, then after several months for healing and the osseointegration process take place, the dentist attaches the denture prosthesis on top. As a result, the chewing function AO4 implant is highest among prosthetic techniques.
What is All-on-4 treatment concept?
In 1998 Dr. Paulo Malo successfully treated the first patient with the All-on-4® treatment concept. Since then hundreds of thousands of patients have been treated with this concept using Nobel Biocare implants. The following cases usually indicate the need for implant All-on-4:
- Full-arch rehabilitation with only four implants: Two straight anterior implants and two implants tilted up to 45º in the posterior
- Immediate Function (fixed provisional bridge): For patients meeting criteria for immediate loading of implants
- Graftless procedure: Bone grafting is avoided by tilting the posterior implants, utilizing available bone
All-on-4: Pros and Cons
Advantages of All-on-4 implants:
- All-on-4 implants are suitable in situations single implants can not be done, like when the jaw bone is not thick enough for fixture placement
- Dentures are fixed to the jaw bone, allowing you to chew and communicate comfortably without fear of teeth falling off like removable denture
- All On 4 implants fix the prosthesis to fill the space of missing teeth will minimize dental as well as body health problems due to the impact of tooth loss.
- Amazing aesthetic look with the same shape, color, and size as real teeth
Disadvantages of All-on-4 implants:
- The occlusal forces applied to the entire prosthetic structure are only supported by 4 implants, all of them are positioned in the front of the dental arch
- Sometimes you need to remove foods accumulating under the prosthesis
How much does all-on-4 dental implant cost in Vietnam?
In the short version, getting All-on-4 implants in Vietnam could save you 70% of the expense for the same service in the US or Australia. How does that happen you ask?
The cost for a full mouth implant package generally varies from $6,000 to $9,900 for a top-notch dental clinic in Vietnam, including diagnosis, consultation, treatment, and prosthesis. Learn more about the cost breakdown of All-on-4 dental implants in Vietnam, in comparison with other countries in this article What is the Cost of Full Mouth Dental Implants in Vietnam?.
|Common Treatments||Vietnam Cost||US Cost||Savings|
|Blood Test / Surgery Checkup||$60||$150||$90|
|Implant Procedure Cost|
|Full Upper Arch All-on-4 Implants||$7,000||$26,350||$19,350|
|Full Lower Arch All-on-4 Implants||$7,000||$26,350||$15,490|
|Travel Cost for Trip 1 (Implant placement)|
|Return flights to Vietnam||$900||$0||($900)|
|7 nights at 4-star hotel||$350||$0||($350)|
|Food and Travel Expenses||$500||$0||($500)|
|Travel Cost for Trip 2 (Prosthesis installment)|
|Return flights to Vietnam||$900||$0||($900)|
|5 nights at 4-star hotel||$200||$0||($200)|
|Food and Travel Expenses||$350||$0||($350)|
In the long version, there are many factors that build up those prices and they’re different from each service that you’re offered. So take a look at each factor and consider them carefully before deciding which offer to go with. Remember: low price doesn’t mean the best price! Cost of All-on-4 implants in Vietnam includes these main parts:
- Implant fixture: should vary by the brands of the implant, since each implant has its own technology. However, the cost should be between $700 and $1,500 for the fixture only
- Implant abutment: abutment is the connecting part between implants and dental bridge or dentures
- Prosthesis: depending on the material and brand of the crown, for more information you could check out this post: crowns and bridges
- Tooth extraction: part or all of the damaged teeth might still attach with the jaw bone and need to be removed. It’d cost from $20 to $200 for each tooth extraction, depending on the difficulty level of the surgery.
Tips for getting All-on-4 dental implants in Vietnam
Here are the tips that we’ve compiled from our daily experience about All on 4 implants in Vietnam:
#1: Learn the difference among All on 4 vs Overdentures vs Fixed Bridge
It’s common for patients to mistake “All on 4” with Implant Overdentures or Fixed Bridge procedures. Patients traveling to Vietnam often mistake All on 4 as any full upper or lower teeth restoration using 4 dental implants.
The main difference between All on 4 and the other types of procedures is the use of tilted implants in the front section of the mouth. Overdentures (also called implant-supported dentures, snap-on dentures or implant-retained dentures) and Fixed Bridge (aka Fixed Hybrid) use standard vertical implants. They can also be completed using 4 dental implants per jaw.
The restoration on All on 4 and Fixed Bridge is fixed, while Overdentures allows you to remove the dentures from the implants and clean it.
Dental tourism patients also commonly use the term All on 6 or All on 8 in Vietnam to refer to a Fixed Bridge that uses 6 or 8 standard implants per jaw. In fact, there is no such thing as All on 8. The correct term would be a Fixed Bridge with 8 implants. Nobel Biocare has All on 6 that uses tilted implants, but All on 6 is a less common procedure. Vietnamese dentists usually recommend standard vertical implants if 6 dental implants are needed per jaw.
#2: All on 4 dental implants are not for everyone
All on 4 is only recommended for very specific cases. According to Nobel Biocare, All on 4 dental implants are designed for two major reasons:
1. You don’t have good bone in your back jaw (back teeth)
2. You have good bone in your front jaw (front teeth)
#3: It will take at least two trips to get All on 4 dental implants in Vietnam
The competitive advantage of All on 4 dental implants. You can get all your teeth extracted, 4 implants installed, and new immediate load teeth attached to the implants in one surgery. You don’t have to wear temporary dentures that are not attached to the dental implants, which are typical with overdentures or fixed bridge restorations. However, keep in mind that the new full teeth replacement attached to the dental implants is provisional (temporary). It means that after approximately 4-6 months after the All on 4 implants have healed, you have to go back to Vietnam to replace the provisional with a permanent restoration.
#4: Your new teeth might not be fixed after the day of surgery
All on 4 implants are designed as immediate load dental implants. This means that you can have the provisional dentures that are attached to implants after the implant placement surgery.
However, every All on 4 surgery is different. The dentist may or may not be able to attach or load the fixed teeth (denture) during the day of the surgery. Because your front jaw bone has to have the right height, thickness, and quality. Oftentimes, your dentist can only make this decision to load the implants (attach the teeth) after seeing your CT scans when you are in Vietnam. If your surgeon doesn’t get enough torque on the implants after they are attached, he would install temporary removable dentures after the surgery. You let the dental implants heal for 4 months, and then you go back to Vietnam for the dentist to install the permanent fixed teeth.
#5: Know which is suitable for you: standard implants or All on 4 dental implants
All on 4 treatment, if one implant fails, typically you would have to redo the entire procedure. With standard (vertically placed) dental implants such as those with a fixed bridge, you can just remove the one implant that failed and replace it with a new implant. You can also add new dental implants per jaw as necessary.
If you have a strong bite, standard implants can carry the biting force better. People with big jaw structures are better off with standard implants. All on 4 typically can only support 10 teeth per jaw. All on 6, which is another less common variation of All on 4, can support 12 teeth per jaw. Your implantologist can build a new implant-supported Fixed Bridge with up to 14 teeth per jaw with standard implants. This will give you more molars to chew with.
How Long Does All-on-4 Last?
Success rate for Dental Implants
Because the fixture is the most important part of the implant, serving as a root for the new tooth. If the fixture fell out, the whole implant is considered as failed. Fortunately, that risk is a tiny portion, even in the long-term.
All-on-4 is a proven long-term solution, and it’s supported by sciences. A longitudinal study by Paulo Maló et al was conducted on 245 all-on-4 patients with a total of 980 dental implants, which followed up the survival of All-on-4 implants in the mandible with up to 10 years. It showed the success rates of implant fixture with five years and 10 years follow-ups:
- Patient-related success rates: 94.8 percent at five years and 93.8 percent at 10 years
- Implant-related success rates: 98.1 percent at five years and 94.8 percent at 10 years
What does that mean?
It means 94.8% of AO4 implants last for 10 years or more. It’s a life-time solution!
The results support the conclusion that the use of the All-on-4 immediate-function implant concept in completely edentulous mandibles is viable in the long term. link
Prosthesis Survival Rates
According to the same study conducted by Paulo Maló et al, The prosthesis survival rate was 99.2 percent with up to 10 years of follow up. And note that this study was conducted in 2011. With the development of science, new materials have been used to create prostheses with high durability and strength while optimizing aesthetics.
How to begin your all-on-4 implants procedure in Vietnam
First of all, All-on-4 and All-on-6 are two types of implant procedure, so the patients will go through all of the processes of a single implant, which can be seen in this post.
To sum up, in order to have a beautiful smile, patients opting for all on 4 dental implants in Vietnam need to undergo 2 main stages:
Stage 1: Implant placement
The doctor evaluates CT Cone Beam x-rays to check the characteristics of shape, dimensions of the jaw bone, quality, bone mass, blood vessels & nerves. The doctor takes an impression of the upper jaw & lower jaw to produce the surgical guide by 3D printing.
Implants are placed to your jaw bone and the surgeon takes your dental impression again to produce the prosthesis. Several days to one week after the surgery, temporary acrylic dentures reinforced with titanium bar will be placed as a restoration. Your new smile will look and feel great, but it’s only temporary. Dental implants take 4 – 6 months to heal, and this is why a type of provisional bridge, can be ‘immediately loaded’. The provisional bridge still looks and feels like real teeth, but the final prosthodontics will be made from better materials and will have advanced aesthetic results. The design of your smile is catered to you and the things to consider are color, shade, shape, and position.
Stage 2: Restoration
Once the healing process completes, you’ll come back in and your team will replace your temporary teeth with a permanent, customized smile designed just for you. You need additional appointments to place the abutment – the connecting part between the crown and the dentures. Your oral surgeon reopens your gum to expose the dental implant and attach the abutment to the dental implant. Once the abutments are placed, your dentist will take another impression of the abutment for the whole arch. After your jawbone is strong enough to support the use of the new dentures, the dentist will place the permanent dentures in by screwing them into the abutments.
If you decide to have the 2nd stage (permanent dentures) done with a local dentist back in your country, the doctor will forward your dental records and treatment plan to your local doctor to continue the work and follow up on your dental care.
Recommended diet after All-on-4 implant surgery
- Soft food and drinks should be consumed to avoid any discomfort during eating and protect the affected areas
- Foods containing protein such as eggs, fish and seafood, finely chopped meat, dairy products
- Keep hydrated is vital to your immune system and overall health
- Fruits and vegetables are very helpful to your recovery, melon, berries, banana and other soft fruits would be good choices
- Prevent hot or spicy food or drinks in order to avoid bleeding or swelling
- Avoid smoking
- Restrict alcoholic beverages
How do I take care of my teeth after getting All-on-4 implants in Vietnam?
- Use the medicine according to the prescription of the dentist
- In the first 2-3 days, there may be bleeding. At that time, do not gargle and spit much
- In the case of heavy bleeding, bite a sterile gauze and apply an ice compress on the skin outside the implantation site.
- In case of swelling, apply an ice compress to ease the swelling
- Your body temperature may increase slightly around 38 Celsius degrees
- Avoid gargling and hard brushing during the first days after surgery May form hematoma but that is not a serious problem
- Sutures can be drained after 2 weeks or cut after about 12 days depending on the surgeon’s instructions